Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Beer




Five years ago if you asked me to put my seat belt on, I would tell you to go to hell. Nicely, of course. If you asked me to try pumpkin beer I would tell you the same thing, while I was opening a Natural Light or some other “inside the box” beer. I had what my Dad calls “$*!% for brains.”

I thought I knew it all and tried it all. Yes, I had done a lot for a kid my age. At the beginning of 2004 I had a good pick up, it was nice but just like everyone else, I wanted to upgrade. Fast-forward to the end of the year and I had an injector pump go out. I didn’t want to spend the money for a new one so what did I do? I upgraded. I bought a brand new truck.

Fast forward another two years and my company work load was almost at a standstill. I took a job for a crane company, operating cranes and big haul trucks. I had a hard time getting in and moving up in the company because I needed a special crane license. After working for a while there I got to work at a refinery for the company. I was working fourteen/sixteen hour days, seven days a week. One morning, coming off of the night shift, I fell asleep driving. I also found out I had sleep apnea. After sending my truck flying and crashing down, I crushed my heel in seven pieces, totaled my truck and was bedridden for two months.

Since I was not working, I had no income. I moved back in with my parents. While lying in bed doing nothing but going crazy, I decided I needed to do something with my life when I healed. I decided to pay to get my crane license myself... I was in my walking boot going to school. I earned my license and got a job in San Antonio.

One of my best friends from high school lived in town and he introduced me to all of his friends and his church. I met great leaders and volunteers there. It was with their help that I found God. Yes I was born and raised a Catholic, but I was a dead Catholic. After finding God, things started to turn around. I got a free car. I got to go to SXSWi. Really, I got a second family. Also I got to meet people in industries I would have never seen or even heard of if I would stayed on the path I was on. Now, when someone asks me to try something new, like pumpkin beer, a new computer program/tech gadget or an art show? I jump at the chance to go because I know I will meet/see someone interesting, or get to experience something different. Besides I found out I have a passion for architecture. My point is that if a few bad things didn’t happen I would not be where I am at today and I would not be at peace with God!

3 comments:

  1. Having known you for years, this is a great read for me. Life has presented many interesting things for all of us, and it will continue to do so. Chuck, you have always been a very positive person, one that always has a smile and is willing to help 100% of the time. Keep up the good work buddy, and only great things will happen for you! Brothers forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Choco! It's so uplifting. Lets enjoy some pumpkin beer when Chris & get into town.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Choco, as someone going through a few bad things now, I appreciate the post. I'm hoping my "bad things" now will get me to experience the great things God has for the future.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete